Recipe:Izzy's Excellent Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|1/2 cup||refined coconut oil (as room temperature SOLID)|
|1 cup||brown sugar|
|1/4 cup||almond milk|
|1 Tbsp||vanilla extract|
|1 Tbsp||Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer & Water|
|1 Tbsp||vital wheat gluten|
|1 tsp||baking powder|
|1 tsp||baking soda|
|1 cup||semi-sweet chocolate chips|
- Cream together coconut oil and brown sugar until smooth using mixer
- Add almond milk, vanilla, and egg replacer (prepared according to package)
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, gluten, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- Slowly incorporate dry mixture into wet ingredients until a dough is formed
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least two hours in the fridge
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take dough out of fridge. As soon as it is soft enough, use a spoon to form into balls approximately 2 Tbsp each. Place each ball about 2" apart on the parchment paper.
- Bake until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Notes from Izzy
- I did all the mixing in a stand mixer. A handheld one will do fine too but electric makes a huge difference in creaming.
- If the coconut oil isn't a soft solid at the start, it won't cream well and the texture will suffer.
- You can leave out the gluten but it won't have as good a texture.
- If you don't chill the dough, the coconut oil will melt too fast in the oven and the cookies will spread too much.